Our growing youth ministry was galvanized when a 17-year-old stood up at Annual Meeting and made the request that our parish endeavor to provide ministry for her younger sister who would soon be in middle school. After four years of cultivation our present youth ministry forms tweens and youth from grades 4 to 12. These are divided into three groups—4-5 grade; 6-8 grade; 9-12 grade—with each group following an age appropriate curriculum. We have weekly Sunday formation for each age group from 9:15-10:15am and weekly youth group meetings on Sunday afternoons from 4:30-6pm for 7-12 graders. We also plan monthly youth outings to area attractions (e.g. Laser Quest, mini golf, ice skating, etc.). We go on an annual youth retreat in the fall and host a lock-in in the spring. Other special events, such as Diocesan Youth Work Days and Youth Sunday, fall throughout the church year.
Our youth are actively involved in many church ministries, including Altar Guild, Sunday Counters, Acolytes, Ushers and are often helping behind the scenes on their own initiative. We have a very thoughtful group of teens who are able to sustain conversation that crosses the worlds of Scripture, school, contemporary issues and life with family and friends. Our youth ministry is made possible by the strong team of volunteer teachers and leaders in place to assist and support the Youth Director as needed. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, our parents are in solidarity with our effort to grow youth ministry at Saint David’s.
We are looking for a person who will develop relationships with youth and their families so that our teens can grow in their love of God, their understanding of spirit and self and their relationships with the variety of God’s creatures. This person will also advocate for full inclusion of youth ministers in the life of Saint David’s.
The position will require between 10-20 hour per week. The successful candidate will have a flexible schedule, good communication skills, including an ability to authentically relate to the youth, and excellent organizational skills. Familiarity with or membership in the The Episcopal Church is especially desired.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Teaching Sunday School classes,
- Coordinating teaching schedule across three classes,
- Developing and tracking the youth ministry budget,
- Organizing youth group activities/outings,
- Organizing, attending, and leading the annual youth retreat and youth lock-in,
- Organizing special events (Youth Sunday, Shrove Tuesday Pancake Olympics, Youth Kick-Off),
- Communicating with youth parents and church office (email updates, e-blast, monthly newsletter)
- Maintaining supplies,
- Recruiting youth leaders from congregation,
- Increasing mentoring relationships/opportunities for youth in the church,
- Promoting youth as full members of the church,
- Increasing participation in diocesan level youth events, and
- Attending vestry meetings when requested.
What you can expect from Saint David’s parish family, clergy and staff:
- An office with computer and phone,
- A youth budget to work from,
- A support network of adult youth leaders and parents with whom to develop and execute ideas,
- A priest who has experience mentoring seminarians and can offer guidance or feedback if desired,
- A parish administrator who can assist with materials the Youth Director may need,
- A warm, supportive parish family who loves to laugh (seriously!), eat, pray, sing (double seriously!), grow and learn together.
Saint David’s Episcopal Church
6501 Pennywell Drive
Nashville, Tennessee 37205